The Museum of Seismology and Earth Magnetism is housed in a building belonging to the Louis Pasteur University opened in 1900, and originally intended to be used as a central seismological station in Kaiser Wilhelm II’s German empire. Operational up until the 1970s, it was gradually replaced by more modern instruments based out in the Vosges hills.
The museum includes two separate collections of instruments: antique seismometers from the station and a series of devices used for measuring the earth’s magnetic field.
|Type of place|
Exploring the science of earthquakes and terrestrial magnetism. The Museum of Seismology was set up in 1900 in one of the buildings of the Strasbourg University complex constructed by the Germans. It was designed as a seismograph station when Alsace was occupied after the Franco-Prussian war (1870-71). The collection includes 18 instruments showing the evolution of seismometers from the early 19th century to the 1950's and a collection of instruments to measure the earth's magnetic field, the largest collection of such instruments gathered in one place.
Due to the the coronavirus epidemic, all “places receiving public not indispensable to the life of the country” are closed until further notice.
The welcome desk of theTourist Office of Strasbourg is one of them.
However, we can still be reached by email: [email protected].