Designed by Vauban following the surrender of Strasbourg (1681), the “citadelle” (fortress) was chiefly intended to defend the Rhine Bridge. Prior to its dismantling following the annexation of the city by the German Second Reich (1871), it featured a regular pentagonal layout, bastion at the corners.
The 12-hectare parkway located among the remains of the fortress blends in delightfully with the multi-level architecture, moats and vegetation.
|Type of place|
Due to the the coronavirus epidemic, all “places receiving public not indispensable to the life of the country” are closed until further notice.
The welcome desk of theTourist Office of Strasbourg is one of them.
However, we can still be reached by email: [email protected].